Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Oscar Picks

Last year, a friend of mine threw an awesome Academy Awards party. We ate amazing food, picked all of our winners for each category, and watched the awards show together. The best part was, that every time your pick ended up winning, you'd get a scratch off lottery ticket.  I walked out of that party $11 richer.

This year in order to better my chances where my picks are concerned, I've been trying to watch all the movies nominated. (This is tougher than I thought it would be. I still have a few to go and Oscar Night is coming up fast so I might not make it.)

And here are my picks in some of the top categories for the big night:

Best Picture

While my favorite film nominated is The Tree of Life, I'm thinking The Artist is actually going to win. I really enjoyed watching The Artist, though I did find myself missing sound a little. (My boyfriend who saw it with me didn't really like it at all.)


Director

I'm still deciding on this one. Right now it's a toss up between Martin Scorsese for Hugo and Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist.

Actor

I'm going with my heart here on this one and saying Brad Pitt in Moneyball.

Actress

Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn, because she was brilliant.

Supporting Actor

Hands down, Christopher Plummer in The Beginners.


Supporting Actress

My two favorites in this category are Octavia Spencer in The Help and Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids (she is marvelous!), but I think Octavia Spencer is going to win.


Original Screenplay

My new favorite Woody Allen movie, Midnight in Paris.


Adapted Screenplay

I waffled back and forth a lot on this one, but in the end I'm going with Nat Faxon, Alexander Payne, and Jim Rash for The Descendants.

Foreign Language Film

A Separation (Iran). This is a beautiful film. I loved it.

Animated Feature

I actually wish The Adventures of Tintin was nominated but since it's not, I'm going to go with Rango here.

Musical Score

Since the musical score carried the film, I have to say Ludovic Bource for The Artist.

Best Song

Have to say "Man or Muppet" from The Muppets. Not too many options this year. I wish there had been more.

Cinematography

I'm also going with my heart here. My pick is Jeff Cronenweth for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo because it was just a beautifully shot film.



Who do you think will go home with the Oscars on Sunday? You can fill out your own ballot here through the NY Times.


0 comments:

Search This Blog

 

elizabeth norris Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger