Thursday, January 23, 2014

Snow Day Cro-epes

Yesterday I combined celebrations--the snow day and the boyfriend's upcoming birthday (he's going to be 28!). For breakfast I made some kind of combination between a croissant and a sweet crepe.



This is not to be confused with a cronut which I have not had yet. I just can't bring myself to get up extra early to stand in line for food. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think I'll have to at some point. Just for the experience.

Anyway, I have always loved crepes. They're one of my favorite things in the world--sweet or savory, I like them all. I was introduced to them properly when my sister first started waitressing in DC during her college years and I've been a little obsessed ever since.

But crepes are not easy to make. My sister and I undertook the task several times to mixed results. It takes a long time, you're bound to rip a few and that's if you can get them thin enough, and you're going to be stuck with leftovers for weeks. Don't get me wrong, once in a while I just can't help it. I mean, when you need a crepe, you need a crepe.

I found myself craving them  recently and then I read The Londoner's recipe for Nutella Stuffed Croissants, and I had an idea. Why not combine some of my favorite crepe recipes with easy pre-made dough?

I started easy with nutella, strawberries, and crescent roll dough (smaller than crossiants, but oh so good). But you could definitely do this with other sweet ingredients or even savory ones. I plan to do a lot more experimenting this weekend.


Pre-heat your oven to 375 F and grab a cookie sheet.

Break open the crescent roll package and unroll the dough. Then spread a little nutella onto the widest part of the dough.




You don't want to include too much otherwise it could leak out and burn your cookie sheet. Or, even worse, it will burn your hand when it leaks out after your first bite.

Then add your cut up strawberries. Or bananas. Or both. You can't go wrong with Nutella and almost any kind of fruit.






Again, don't try to pack them too full. These are sized for about 2-3 bites.

Roll your dough around your fruit.




Then pop them in the oven. The directions on the crescent roll package says 10-12 minutes, but I usually set it for 8 and check on them. They burn really easily if they're in there too long.




This batch looked golden brown at the 9 minute mark and that's when I pulled them out.

All that's left afterwards is to eat up.





All in all, this took less than twenty minutes--ten of prep and then about ten to bake. It was super easy and amazingly delicious.


0 comments:

Search This Blog

 

elizabeth norris Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger